Modern phones now have distinctive features for a better user experience thanks to technological advancements. One such feature, that you will find in the latest iPhone models, is the Siri voice assistant. If you don’t have a free hand, you can still use this feature to operate your phone. When you’re driving or just don’t feel like getting up, Siri makes it possible for users to interact with their phones through voice commands. This guide looks at how to use Siri on an iPhone 12
What You Need To Know
- Siri now works through the vibrant icon and widget responses rather than taking over the entire screen.
- Siri can even be used with Apple products like HomePods and AirPods to broadcast messages over an intercom mode.
How Does Siri Work On The iPhone 12?
If you have an iPhone 12, you might not know how to call Siri. Fortunately, there are two ways for iPhone users to activate Siri.
To make a Siri call, use voice control. Simply say “Hey Siri” to activate her tiny Siri icon at the bottom of the screen. Prior to iOS 14, Siri would fill your entire screen.
You can no longer call Siri with the Home button since it has long been removed. The good news is that the iPhone lets you call Siri by long-pressing the side button, also known as the power button. This button can be found on the iPhone 12’s right side.
Summon Siri With Voice
You can use any other AirPods—aside from the original AirPods—to activate Siri simply by speaking, just like you would on an iPhone.
Say “Hey Siri” and your request while wearing the AirPods and having your iPhone connected. Even if your phone is not nearby, Siri will still fulfill the request.
Use Siri With Double Tap
If you have first- or second-generation AirPods, you can double-tap Siri to make a call.
To get Siri to start listening to you, simply double-tap either AirPod and wait for a chime to play.
To make your second-generation AirPods work with this technique, you might need to access your Bluetooth settings.
Use Siri With Force Sensors
Each AirPod has a Force Sensor on the neck for the third-generation and AirPods Pro models.
Until you hear a sound, press and hold either sensor. Say whatever you want when it does because Siri is listening!
To use this method with your AirPods Pro, you’ll probably need to access your Bluetooth settings.
Use Siri With Digital Crown
Like the Apple Watch, AirPods Max has a digital crown.
Press and hold the crown while your phone is connected to these headphones to wait for a sound to start. When it does, you can converse with Siri.
Siri Improvements In Ios 14
A number of improvements to Siri’s appearance and functionalities were made in the iOS 14 update, which is the version that was pre-installed on the iPhone 12 at the time of its release. These features were also added or enhanced in addition to the appearance changes previously mentioned:
- Best Answers: Apple estimates that Siri responds to over 25 billion requests each month. The virtual assistant has had to gain a lot of knowledge in order to fulfill all of these requests. Actually, according to Apple, Siri has 20 times more data now than it did a few years ago. Virtual assistants are now better able to use the internet to find solutions.
- Smarter Suggestions: Among Siri’s enhancements is a handy Shortcut suggestions widget that enables Siri to recommend activities you perform frequently. When you get in the car, Siri, for instance, can recommend opening maps or let you order a coffee from your preferred coffee shop. Additionally, you can have these recommendations in your current view or on your home screen (or both). Regardless of what suits you.
- Shared Estimated Time of Arrival: You can ask Siri to “share my ETA” if you run into another iPhone user and want to let them know your estimated arrival time. The recipient will then receive your ETA via Apple Maps. There are a few exceptions, though. Your Apple ID email will be used to share your expected arrival time after you’ve started the directions on Apple Maps.
- Voice messages: Utilizing iMessages or MMS text messages, Siri can record and send audio messages for you, enabling you to communicate with Android users via audio files. Siri will record and send the audio message if you just say, “Send an audio message to.” Before sending the message, you’ll be given the choice to listen to it, cancel it, or record it again. Additionally, you will have CarPlay as a choice.
- Better translation: The translation services that have always been available through With iOS 14, Siri has improved. You don’t need to be connected to the Internet for the translation to take place, and there are currently 65 language pairs available. Additionally, the translations are much more seamless than they were in the past.
- Biking Directions with Maps: You can now ask Siri, “What are directions for biking to [name of place]?” if you require biking directions.” When you ask Siri for directions to a location and she is unable to understand or identify the location, she will make suggestions and then send you to Apple Maps to get the correct directions.
- Automatic reminders from email: Siri now has the ability to identify potential email reminders and provide recommendations in iOS 14. This feature will help you stay in the game if you discover that you frequently create reminders from emails.
How To Use Siri As An Intercom
The iPhone 12’s intercom feature, which is available if you have other Apple devices in your home, is another feature you might discover when using Siri. On every Apple smart device, including the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, and even CarPlay, the intercom feature is available.
Say “Hey Siri, tell everyone [your message]” to activate the feature. The recipients can reply by saying, “Hey Siri, repeat [your response],” after Siri has sent the messages to the connected devices.
The HomePod and AirPod devices will play messages sent through the intercom feature, and the iPhone, iPad, and other compatible devices will display them as notifications.
Other Siri Tips On An iPhone 12
Making Siri Know Who You Are
You should identify yourself to Siri after you’ve enabled it. You can do this by choosing “My information” from the Siri & Search screen, then “Contacts.” Siri will use this knowledge to answer inquiries like “How do I Get Home?” or “What reputable eateries are nearby?”
Changing How The Assistant Sounds
Siri’s voice and language can both be altered. Here are the actions to take:
- Go to the settings app
- Scroll to and select Siri & Search
- Select Siri Voice and choose the available voices and genders, depending on the country and region
- Choose Language from the Siri & Search screen to change the language to your preference.
Use The Keyboard Instead Of Speaking
Go to Settings> Accessibility> Siri, then turn on Type to Siri to make the necessary changes if you prefer to use your keyboard instead of saying, “Hey Siri.” On the keyboard, type your query or request after activating Siri.
Making A Correction When Siri Does Not Understand Your Question
If Siri doesn’t understand your query or command, try one of the solutions listed below.
- Rephrase your request by tapping on the Siri icon and saying it in a different way
- You can edit a message before sending it by saying “Change it.”
- If there are specific words that Siri did not understand, repeat your question and spell out those words while tapping the Siri icon. If, for instance, Siri did not understand what you said when you said “Call John,” you can either say “Call” again or spell “John” after the first repetition.
- By typing: you can edit your request. You can edit your request’s text by tapping it on the screen and using the keyboard that appears there.